Location: Edgecliff, Sydney
Department: Design & Development
Reports to: Co-founder
Job type: Full-time (14 month maternity cover)
Based in Sydney, Nimble Activewear is looking for a Senior Designer to join our tight knit crew.
As our Senior Designer you will be responsible for bringing design solutions to life which adhere to marketing strategies and business goals. You will oversee all design and development elements, from the conception to final delivery as well as managing and mentoring our Product Developer & Junior Designer.
The goss on us:
As our name suggests we are Nimble in both name and spirit. We make quality activewear that she can feel great in. Who’s she? Her, us and you! Our crew is located in the heart of Edgecliff where we practice our preach on the daily. We sweat together, a few of us commute together and all of us laugh together.
We’re still young and our hustle is legit, so expect everyday to be different. There are many moving parts to our growing brand from web to retail and all the in betweens. It is up to each of us to take action, follow up, follow through, evaluate and innovate.
Balance is a truth that we constantly achieve with our hard work, heads down, healthy eats, daily sweats, chats, (some not so healthy) snacks and giggles.
Key responsibilities & specific duties
- Responsible for the overall vision and design direction for seasonal collections, working with the Director and Merchandiser to build out the range plan and seasonal stories
- Select and development new fabrics and trims to execute product strategies
- Design original pieces that support the seasonal stories and intent, while maintaining brand consistency having FOB and margin targets in mind
- Delegating design tasks and providing support for junior level design team members
- Create and execute seasonal sketches and tech packs to ensure for a clear handover to our vendors
- Maintain and nurture close working relationship with our offshore team
- Responsible for ensuring all styles deliver our standards of quality, beauty and function to our customer
- Lead design meetings, focus groups and survey creation to analyse and action feedback for continual innovation of product.
- Brief in seasonal print direction and manage relationship with graphic designers
- Oversee seasonal style name and content creation, signing off on finalised copy with Marketing
- Oversee, build out and present product education across the business
- Awareness and research of what’s happening in the athletic and fashion industry
- Awareness and paying close attention to how the line is currently performing in stores, to leverage for future seasons.
Development & Fit: 40%
- Work to critical paths and meet deadlines, ensuring timely delivery of product and management of process including that all PP samples are signed off in order to meet order window timelines.
- Oversee the development and fittings of styles throughout the commercialisation of the product line; Mentor junior team members during fittings
- Fabric Development - ability to clearly brief new fabrics for development, managing any new fabric testing and wear testing where applicable.
- Identify wear testing for seasonal styles as applicable
- Execute colour palette for seasonal collections and capsules, troubleshoots colour achievability issues.
Strategy and Other: 20%
- Partnering with Merchandising to build a strategy of how to grow our mainline business as well as push forward key innovations
- Advocate for the use of technology to drive innovation and efficiency across the Product Organisation
- Ability to travel to offshore factories and on inspiration trips as needed
- Mentoring and guiding the Product team
- Be a leader on the Design & Development team
- Other ad hoc duties as required
KEY COMPETENCIES & EXPECTED BEHAVIOURS:
- Completed a BA or Diploma in Fashion Design or a related course
- Management experience in Fashion Design within a similar leadership position at a clothing retail business
- Knowledge of garment construction, pattern making, textiles, sewing techniques and technology applications
- Highly proficient in Adobe Illustrator
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Excel, Word, Mac platform
- Ability to engage effectively and influence key stakeholders across the business
- Inspired by the active industry and always keen to share ideas
- An understanding of retail environment and a passionate attitude towards the ever-changing landscape
- Strong leadership, management & interpersonal skills driving best in class processes, behaviours and practices
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-moving environment
- Ability to effectively receive and communicate feedback
What can we bring to the table:
- A fun and active work environment
- Yummy snacks on the daily
- A day off for your birthday
- No corporate suits, embrace your own style, whatever that may be!
- An active crew that you can join for some sweats in local studios
Please send your CV (including a link to your portfolio) and a ONE PAGE cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Senior Designer.