Top 6 | Summer Ready Tips
Top 6 | Summer Ready Tips
Swap your sweater for swimmers because summer is fast approaching - we share below our top 6 tips to get you ready for everyone's favourite time of the year!
1. FIX DRY SKIN
Winter can be one of the biggest torments to your skin leaving it dry, calloused, and rough. It is important to maintain your skin and keep it hydrated throughout year.
Below are a few ways to combat dry skin:
- Use a daily serum for your face under makeup – makeup should not be put directly onto your skin as it can change your skin's natural balance so it is best to use a serum or primer with natural oils to sooth and hydrate the skin.
- Exfoliate before showering - when exfoliating look for products with ingredients that assist the skin's natural exfoliation process while also delivering nutrients to repair and prevent further damage to the skin. Stay away from grain scrubs, abrasive pads, washcloths, alcohol based toners and astringents as these can disturb the skin's natural pH balance and produce inflammation and dryness that will cause additional damage.
- Moisturise after showering with a body butter or moisture rich moisturiser.
- Use a night cream – night creams are filled with vitamins to help repair and regenerate the skin after it has been fighting the elements during the day.
- Swap lotions for oils – oils are more easily absorbed than lotions making skin rejuvenation and maintenance quicker.
- A product that works for every skin type is a moisture mask – moisture masks restore the skin's natural defense system, remove impurities, and returns the skin to its optimum moisture level. Your skin will be left feeling softer and smoother, and looking brighter and more radiant.
2. TREAT YOUR HAIR
Many of us forget to take precautions to protect our hair during winter, and the wind, rain, snow and sun exposure that your hair suffers can make it dry and brittle.
Below are a few ways to revitalize your hair:
- Get a fresh haircut to get rid of those dead ends.
- Use a shampoo and conditioner that has a hydrating argan oil essence base to prevent further damage and restore your hair’s natural shine.
- Use a nourishing oil (Moroccan / argan oil) to treat and rehydrate - the oil reinforces the hair’s natural structure and keeps it strong.
- Up your protein and omega 3 intake, so start eating more salmon, walnuts and eggs as they are natural hair conditioners.
These hair treatments should be continued throughout the months of summer as your hair is still battling the elements of salt, chlorine and sun exposure.
3. TAN – THE HEALTHY WAY
You can’t be ready for summer without getting that bronzing glow!
Your skin is fragile after being covered up during winter and is not used to the harshness of the sun. Sun tanning is harmful and can do permanent damage to your skin, so we suggest using fake tans or gradual tanning moisturisers.
Remember - just because you have a tan doesn’t mean that you are protected from the sun's UV rays – always apply sunscreen.
4. DRINK WATER
The summer heat causes a larger loss of water from your body than you would experience during winter.
Be sure to drink plenty of water. On average you should be drinking about 8 glasses a day (i.e. 1.8 - 2L). Water also helps your body in many different ways including:
- Fixes dry skin and stabilises skin hydration
- Boosts metabolism / fat burning
- Rehydrates the body during / after exercise
- Hydrates, strengthens and promotes hair growth
- Flushes out toxins in the body
- Is a natural body cleanser
5. GET ACTIVE
During the winter months we are generally less inclined to do exercise. Some of us may not be confident in our skin after winter, however one of the greatest ways to feel your best is through exercise - exercise produces endorphins and endorphins make us happy!
6. EAT WELL
Stay away from oily and fatty foods that can aggravate your skin and stomach. Eating fresh foods – fruits, vegetables, fibre, dairy and proteins – in the appropriate quantities will ensure a balanced diet and promote healthy and nourished skin.
When it comes to eating well, our #1 rule at Nimble HQ is to have everything in moderation. Sometimes you need to treat yourself, you deserve it!