A up-dated gluten free version of the classic Middle Eastern salad using the ever so popular "it" grain, quinoa. This is a fantastic quick and easy salad that is packed with protein, and is great as a main course or a perfect side salad.
Nimble tip: Sprinkle some feta cheese just before serving. This is also a great salad to make up on a Sunday and take to work during the week with some protein such as fish, meat or boiled eggs.
Image: Jason Lowe
- 1 cup white quinoa, rinsed well
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 persian cucumbers, seeded and cut into ¼ pieces
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- Salt & pepper
- Bring quinoa and 1 ¼ cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce to a low heat, cover and simmer until quiona is tender. This will take about 10 mins.
- Remove from heat and let it stand about 5-8 mins and then fluff with a fork
- Place cooked quinoa into a salad bowl and allow to completely cool
- Mix through all remaining ingredients.