We were first introduced to quinoa sushi on our Lord Howe Island Wellness Week (ready more about that here) and since then have been loving the trendy little twist on the traditional rice filled sushi! These quinoa sushi rolls are also loaded with protein, making them a great substitute for other grains such as rice.
Fill with your favourite sushi filling - our favourite filling suggestion below.
- 1 cup quinoa* (any colour, or mixed), rinsed well - we prefer to use white
- Nori (seaweed) sheets
*Note: Depending on which colour quinoa you use, there will be a slight difference in cooking times and chewiness: white quinoa is the least crunchy and cooks the quickest, whilst black quinoa will need a bit longer to cook and has a crunchier texture which makes it great for salads.
For quinoa dressing:
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp wasabi
For filling: (you can really use whatever takes your fancy but this is what we love to use!)
- 8-10 scallops, seared in a hot pan in olive oil
- Slices of smoked salmon
- 1 continental cucumber, seeded and cut match sticks
- 1 avocado, sliced
For the miso-sesame dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Note: We love this sushi with miso-sesame dipping sauce but it also works well served with pickled ginger and tamari sauce (wheat free soy-sauce).
Image: Lemon Tree Health
- Bring quinoa and 1¼ cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce to a low heat, cover and simmer until quinoa is tender. This will take about 10-12 mins (slightly longer if you are using a darker variety).
- Once cooked, let the quinoa cool for a few minutes and mix together in a bowl with quinoa dressing ingredients.
- To make the sushi, place a small bowl of water close by so you can dip your hands in as you work. Also make sure you have all nori sheets, quinoa and filling ingredients next to you.
- Place a sheet of seaweed (shiny side down) on a cutting board.
- Dip your hands in the bowl of water and spread some quinoa evenly over the seaweed. Leave a small border along the edge furthest from you.
- Cut 1 slice of smoked salmon in half and place on top on quinoa - make sure this is running through the centre so it’s evenly distributed. Then place scallops, cucumber and avocado over the smoked salmon. BUT be careful not to overfill!
- Dip your finger in the bowl of water and slightly wet the exposed nori sheet (the small border you left along the edge furthest from you).
- Holding the edges of the sheet closest to you, lift and start rolling away from you. Hold the filling as you roll and try to keep it tight.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut it into individual pieces. You should get 4 out of each roll.
- Serve sushi alongside miso dipping sauce.